I have been facing a hard time in my time management skills.. Lots of things to achieve and really less time to do all those things. Thought I should ask you people..
The truth is you can't do everything obviously, but here are some tips I also keep reminding myself.
1. Don't check your email 20 times a day, have a specific schedule for checking unless your work depends on you answering emails more often
2. Schedule your phone calls, don't allow random calls on business unless your a one man band and are just starting up your business, even a nice professional voice mail message will allow you to return calls on a specific schedule, you can still call people back once a day say for example after your lunch break.
3. Use a timer and put yourself on the cl ock for critical tasks, I use the http://www.online-stopwatch.com when you get ready to do your task for example writing a blog post time yourself. Then work on beating the clock gradually.
4. Keep a time journal of things you have done everyday or weekly. Reflect back on everything at least once per week and if you can tell you have been wasting time playing on your iPhone or watching TV when you know you should have been working on something then its time to change.
5. If you have more time than money consider hiring a virtual assistant that can do the stuff that are less of a priority, read the book 80/20 and you may find out that really you should only be focusing on 1-2 things at most 3 things that are really critical in your business. The rest are good things to do but tend to be more busy work. For example for myself as an SEO the most important things for me is inbound marketing, link building, etc. I work to spend more time doing that above all else. The other stuff I'll get to it at some point.
Remember you can't do everything, don't kill yourself do the most important things right now, leave the rest it will get done eventually. If the most important thing is for you to build your business and earn more profits then you should focus directly on that.
Hope this helps! (more)